Welcome to OHFA's resource center for housing counselors. Like you, the Agency is committed to helping more Ohioans become successful homeowners and find ways to prevent foreclosure. We have also provided information on other resources that can help your clients.
OHFA Homebuyer Education
OHFA's streamlined homebuyer education allows homebuyers to gain necessary information on their own time, such as budgeting skills and steps to becoming a first-time homebuyer. We partner with housing counseling agencies around the state to provide one-on-one telephone consultations that help homebuyers prepare for becoming owners. Learn more about OHFA's streamlined homebuyer education.
Tips for Housing Counselors
The following stress-reducing tips were developed during a focus group with participants from HUD intermediaries and state housing finance agencies.
- QTIP (Quit Taking it Personally). Despite your best efforts, not every client can be helped.
- Coach your clients. Although we would like to hold everyone by the hand, a point comes when the client needs to be responsible for their own case with our support.
- Define a good day. Even with our many successes, we also fail at times. By defining what makes a good day, such as completing various tasks or assisting a client in a difficult situation, you will know when you have one.
- Appoint someone to keep a cool head. When you are fully immersed in the challenges facing homeowners, it is hard to know when you have reached your limit. Having someone to remind you can be helpful.
- Have weekly solution meetings. Sharing difficulties with your peers can offer the opportunity for a fresh perspective.
- Schedule time away from the office. It is in everyone's best interest if a good work-life balance is maintained.
- Practice time management. Take some time each morning to schedule your day and prioritize your tasks. We often spend our whole day putting out fires and never get ahead.
- Give recognition to your staff. A kind word can make all the difference in someone's day.
- Remember the goal. You are helping people facing a crisis. They will remember the difference you have made in their lives forever.
- Decide to keep a positive attitude. This is a daily decision, not a feeling.
Below are additional resources for your clients.
- Ohio Drug Card
- Employers Health
- CVS Caremark
- Humility of Mary Health Partners
- LifeSource Direct
- NACo Prescription Discount Card Program
- Rx Access For You