The Ohio Housing Finance Agency (OHFA), Ohio Department of Medicaid (ODM), Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD), and the Ohio Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (OhioMHAS) are collaborating to implement the Ohio 811 Project Rental Assistance Program designed to serve approximately 485 households throughout the state.
The purpose of this program, as authorized under the Frank Melville Supportive Housing Investment Act of 2010, is to allow households composed of one or more persons with a disability, who are at least 18 but less than 62 years of age and are extremely low income, to live as independently as possible by subsidizing rental housing opportunities and providing access to supportive services.
Available Funding and Related Programs:
OHFA will award and administer Rental Assistance Contracts (RAC) to eligible owners of multifamily rental properties funded through the Housing Tax Credit program. Up to 25 percent of the units in a development may be eligible for assistance under this program.
Rental assistance covers the difference between 30% of the resident's income and the unit's 50% AMGI rent level calculated for the Housing Tax Credit program. The total rent cannot exceed the Fair Market Rent published by HUD.
OHFA and the selected owners of housing tax credit developments will enter into a 20-year RAC. The Section 811 PRA funding guarantees the rental assistance program for the first five years. The balance of the contract will be funded based on annual federal appropriations.
The prospective resident's access to services will be coordinated by the ODM with assistance from DODD and OhioMHAS. ODM will identify those eligible for the program and will create and maintain a referral network to match those identified with available housing units throughout the state.
Applications and Forms:
If you are a property owner interested in participating in this program, download the Invitation to Apply and follow the instructions for completion and submission:
- State of Ohio 811 Program – Invitation to Apply (64 KB Word File)
- Ohio 811 Information Session & Portfolio Review – May 11 in Cleveland (64 KB Adobe PDF File) New
- Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plan (AFHMP) (221 KB Adobe PDF File) Placed 3/2/17
- All Unit Breakdown for 811 Analysis – 9/19/16 (318 KB Excel File)
- Fair Housing Poster
- 811 Waiver of Move-in/Move-out Inspections
For specific program details, see the Ohio Section 811 Cooperative Agreement, Agreement to Enter into Rental Assistance Contract, Rental Assistance Contract, Use Agreement and Model Lease, below.
- Ohio Section 811 Program Flyer (1.38 MB Adobe PDF File)
- Program Comparison Chart: 811 & ODMSD (as of 11/7/16) (197 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Ohio Section 811 Cooperative Agreement – 12/22/15 (2.64 MB Adobe PDF File)
- Ohio 811 Project Rental Assistance Program Fact Sheet – 5/2/16 (109 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Ohio 811 Project Rental Assistance Program Application Proposal (379 KB Adobe PDF File)
- 2008-2016 HOME Choice Transitions Map (200 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Section 811 Supportive Housing for Persons with Disabilities Program (HUD)
- HUD FAQs
- HUD Handbook 4350.3
Please email your questions or comments to 811Program@ohiohome.org or call:
Ohio Housing Finance Agency
57 East Main Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215