The goal of the Neighborhood Initiative Program is to stabilize property values by removing and greening Vacant and Blighted properties in Targeted Areas in an effort to prevent future foreclosures for existing homeowners. NIP will prevent foreclosure by helping to stem the decline in home values that began with the burst of the housing bubble in 2008. In Ohio, 31 percent of homeowners with loans owe at least 125 percent more than their estimated home value When negative equity combines with other factors such as loss of income, the risk of foreclosure is high because homeowners do not have the option to sell a home they can no longer afford. Foreclosures result in distressed sales that further depress property values and continue the downward spiral, too often resulting in Vacant and Blighted homes. Demolition is a critical component of strategies to stabilize home values.
- Neighborhood Initiative – Guidelines (783 KB Adobe PDF File) Updated
Request for Proposals – Neighborhood Initiative Program
The goal of the Neighborhood Initiative Program ("NIP") is to stabilize property values by removing and greening Vacant and Blighted properties in Targeted Areas in an effort to prevent future foreclosures for existing homeowners. Demolition is a critical component of strategies to stabilize home values. Please see the Neighborhood Initiative Program Guidelines for more detailed program rules and information.
The application should be submitted electronically in one pdf document. Only if necessary, maps and large attachments may be emailed separately. All narratives should be presented on 8.5 x 11 inch document in 12 point font. Please be concise and do not exceed to the page limits for each narrative section. Email the PDF file to NIP@ohiohome.org no later than 5:00pm (EST) on Friday, September 2, 2016.
- Request for Proposals – Neighborhood Initiative Program (205 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Neighborhood Initiative Program Application Form (664 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Development Transfer (1.00 MB Adobe PDF File)
- Public Use Transfer (1.53 MB Adobe PDF File)
- Non-Profit Transfer (573 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Side Lot Program (1.38 MB Adobe PDF File)
- Estimating Demolition Impacts in Ohio (4.93 MB Adobe PDF File)
- NIP Historic Preservation Webinar (Prezi Presentation)
- Invoicing & Reimbursement Process Webinar (15.65 MB Adobe PDF File)
Greater Ohio Policy Center
Greater Ohio Policy Center can advise applicants on the implementation of the Neighborhood Initiative Program (NIP). Assistance includes:
- Consultation with applicants regarding best practices for the selection of neighborhoods and properties for the program
- Strategic and technical advice to eligible applicants in responding to the RFP for the NIP
Learn more by visiting the Greater Ohio website: http://greaterohio.org.
Thriving Communities Institute
Thriving Communities works throughout Ohio to establish county land banks, facilitate the formation of their board of directors and assist them in developing policies and procedures that address the elimination of blight within their counties. Jim Rokakis has worked diligently to bring demolition funds to Ohio through the Moving Ohio Forward Program and the U.S. Treasury's release of Hardest Hit Fund dollars for demolition. Thriving Communities is positioned to assist county land banks in seeking and utilizing demolition funds and in repurposing properties post-demolition.
- Per Property Reimbursement Coversheet (41 KB Excel File)
- Per Property Reimbursement Checklist (53 KB Word File)
- Pipeline Form (43 KB Excel File) New
- Consolidated Certifications (769 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Blank Lien and Promissory Note Template (179 KB Adobe PDF File)
- NIP Early Lien Release Request Form (249 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Target Area Amendment Form (120 KB Adobe PDF File)
- Historic Waiver Form (473 KB Adobe PDF File)